Re: [spf-discuss] Re: Preparing the IAB appeal

2006-02-08 14:47:37
On Wed, 8 Feb 2006, Hector Santos wrote:

For a substantial portion of mail (some say 80%, pointer to
one of Hector's article stating this) MAIL FROM and PRA are
different, as explained in (pointer to old appeal).

s/80/20/  100 - 80 = 20.  Need more coffee, sorry.  Do you
need some pointers like Ned's article on the general list ?
Or Keith's old "this was an error" article ?   Bye, Frank

Sure Frank, since you brought it up, please show all proof of error from
your "Kiss, Kiss, they might like me then" dependency list of Keith,
Ned, and your other so called IETF "buddy list" statements proving
otherwise who have little to no direct experience with any kind of
anti-spam efforts.

Here is an example.  I send mail with MFROM of 'gathman.org'.  Since
my home ISP blocks outgoing port 25, I relay through the bmsi.com MX.
The bmsi.com MX uses SRS to block bounce spam.  So, the MFROM says 'bmsi.com'
and passes SPF, while the From: says 'gathman.org' (and would pass sender-ID if
I cared to publish a record).  There are quite a few other "vanity"
domains getting relayed by bmsi.com for similar reasons.

There is no obvious solution like making mail relayed from my home ISP
say 'gathman.org', because I also send 'bmsi.com' mail from home
(relayed through bmsi.com MX).  The MTA would have to look inside
the message in order to make the MFROM and From: agree.