Re: [spf-discuss] The Appeal is out. So whats next for SPF?

2006-02-10 12:12:12

"william(at)elan.net" <william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net> wrote in message

I believe council has it on its agenda for next meeting to
talk about what is a future for SPF. I mentionted to some
people my agenda already and in my view SPF should first focus
on issues with SMTP Session as was originally goal of the group
and next steps should involve:

[snip - great 5 point suggestions]

At the same time I think we should also start (slowly) working
on next version of SPF that would have scoping system and other
features that will make it easier extend further.

It is this exact reason why I said that I got lost getting deep into
the specifics and never pressed that send button.  :-)

What I realized there was a common ground in all this and all the neat
ideas
or technical suggestions - the lack of a standard proposal system for
ESPF (Extended SPF) to:

  - Create a functional and technical description for
    the idea/extension

  - Provide the baseline, groundwork for healthy focused
    discussions, with a COG engineer (author) taking input
    for corrections, enhancements or nullifying the idea.

  - Making sure the classic or core SPF is not violated,
    unless it is a core-change proposal.

  - Doesn't conflict with other ESPF RFC documents.

  - Create a repository of ESPF I-D, RFC and STD documents.

  - Create synergism for all SPF implementators.

etc.

I agree with, I think we should setup system that allows SPF
documents to be submitted in similar ways to how Jabber is doing it
with JEP documents (http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jeplist.shtml). Similar
to IETF I think this should allow both for individual submission, but
also should allow for documents to be done as part of SPF group
activity.

Great William. I'm glad you agree.

There are a lot of great ideas for SPF and we saw many over the last 2-3
years. Stuart has great ideas implementation ideas.  You too.  There
were a few fellas here that had great ideas too but don't seem to be
hanging out any more.  I have and suggested a few ideas myself, but I
also held back much more. :-)

What was very common in all is that they usually ended up most of the
time in no-win debates, went into many different directions and in the
end, the ideas or suggestions got lost in the shuffle.

So an ESPF proposal system would really get the future of SPF going in a
new and exciting directions because like the IETF, the I-D give people a
serious document to explore and work with.

Basically what I am suggestion is for the SPF council, using an old
proverbial saying:

     "Take a step back into the balcony"

and hold off on all the great ideas and spend some initial time to work
out official method started for ESPF proposals to make sure there is a
consistent, historical, archival and also "legal" format in place for
now and into the future.

I feel pretty good with the diea that an official method, I think the
ESPF ideas will start flowing.  I got about 3-4 ideas I want to propose
myself :-)

http://www.santronics.com
Silver Xpress Offline Mail System,
Gold Xpress (SX + Comm)
Platinum Xpress Mail/File Frontend System
Wildcat! Client/Server Intranet System