Re: Sender ID (was Re: [spf-discuss] nobody @ xyzzy)

2006-02-22 14:59:59
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 15:49:12 -0500, "Dick St.Peters"
<stpeters(_at_)NetHeaven(_dot_)com> wrote:

Nonetheless, the license excludes a lot of free-software developers.
For example, I'm a professor who also happens to work on open-source
mail software in my free time.  I asked my university's lawyers
whether they could execute Microsoft's sender ID license, and the
answer was probably not.  The problem is that it requires the
university to license *all* of its patents back to Microsoft for
sender ID--including patents obtained by other research groups--which
the lawyers were extremely reluctant to do.

What the license says is different from what you say your lawyers say.

Sounds like the water is not really poisoned, but people are so afraid
it's poisoned, they won't touch it.

I guess Microsoft is reaping what they have historically sown.  That's
a shame, I really like the idea of verifying headers.