[spf-discuss] Mail Forwarding Question

2006-02-27 10:13:40
Hello.

I am a boutique web designer seemingly caught in SPF hell.

My client (lets call him "client.org") hosts his web site with me on a virtual server. Call that server "virtual.com".

My client keeps non-public email POP boxes on his isp, call it "client-isp.com".

My client needs to get email from a party sending from their isp, call it "sender-isp.com".

My client's public email address is "client(_at_)client(_dot_)org".

My client's private POP box is "client(_at_)client-isp(_dot_)com".

My cpanel setup forwards all email destined for "client(_at_)client(_dot_)org" to "client(_at_)client-isp(_dot_)com". But the outside world doesn't know that.

My client's ISP subscribes to SPF.

THe party sending mail to my client publishes an SPF record.

But since the email visits my intervening forwarding virtual host, the client ISP bounces the mail because "virtual.com" is not an authorized sender for "sender-isp.com".

So I feel between a rock and a hard place. I am following all RFCs on sending and forwarding mail, but I seem to have no way to serve my client legitimately except to recommend that he move to an email service that does NOT use SPF.

Any suggestions?

        -stephan golux