Re: [spf-discuss] Mail Forwarding Question

2006-02-27 11:09:17
On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 12:12:30 -0500 Stephan Golux
<stephan(_at_)goluxstudio(_dot_)com>
wrote:
Hello.

I am a boutique web designer seemingly caught in SPF hell.

My client (lets call him "client.org") hosts his web site with me on a
virtual server.  Call that server "virtual.com".

My client keeps non-public email POP boxes on his isp, call it
"client-isp.com".

My client needs to get email from a party sending from their isp, call
it "sender-isp.com".

My client's public email address is "client(_at_)client(_dot_)org".

My client's private POP box is "client(_at_)client-isp(_dot_)com".

My cpanel setup forwards all email destined for "client(_at_)client(_dot_)org"
"client(_at_)client-isp(_dot_)com".  But the outside world doesn't know that.

My client's ISP subscribes to SPF.

THe party sending mail to my client publishes an SPF record.

But since the email visits my intervening forwarding virtual host, the
client ISP bounces the mail because "virtual.com" is not an authorized
sender for "sender-isp.com".

So I feel between a rock and a hard place.  I am following all RFCs on
sending and forwarding mail, but I seem to have no way to serve my
client legitimately except to recommend that he move to an email service
that does NOT use SPF.

Any suggestions?

Many SPF checking implementations have a whitelist capability.  The first thing
I'd try is to
see if your client can get the ISP to whitelist mail from your server and not
check it.

The second thing I'd suggest is just offer your client a POP box on your
server.  They're easy enough to manage with CPanel.  As an added bonus it
ties the client more closely to your infrastructure.

If that doesn't do it there are other options....

Scott K