[spf-discuss] Re: other modifiers

2006-03-10 17:39:06
Scott Kitterman wrote:

http://www.openspf.org/extensions.html

That's very old, a "report" won't pas any decent validator. ;-)

I've never seen this extensions.html page before, the old site
is messy.  Let's hope that the Web masters kill that page soon,
and that they'll fix the navigation box to do something useful:

 <http://mid.gmane.org/43F8838F(_dot_)4927(_at_)xyzzy(_dot_)claranet(_dot_)de>
: Hi, many important links now go to http://www.openspf.org
: as it should be.  But many important new pages are at the
: moment only available below http://new.openspf.org - and
: there's no prominent link from the old to the new pages.
:
: That's mainly relevant for the appointed editors of the
: SPF site, but it also affects the community (incl. me),
: what should I do elsewhere, e.g. on the Wikipedia page
: in its section 'external links' ?
:
: In theory the new pages will replace the old site when
: they are declared to be ready.  Or at least that's what I
: think the plan is.
:
: Therefore creating tons of links to new.openspf.org on
: other pages might be dubious.  I do it anyway on my pages,
: because I hope to be able to fix it when necessary.  But
: I'm less confident to do it elsewhere, e.g. Wikipedia, too
: many links to ???.openspf.org could be considered as "SEO"
: instead of "NPOV".
:
: Therefore I'd appreciate it if <http://new.openspf.org> is
: linked on most "old" www.openspf.org pages.
:
: There's a prominent site navigation box on most old pages,
: and its layout is roughly like this:
:
: | faq downloads sitemap contact
: |           homepage
: |   howworks        news
: |   whatdoes
: |   services        mailinglist
:
: The "news" link is completely obsolete (2004), it should
: go to the new "news" page.  Finding the old "news" page
: is still possible via the old sitemap.
:
: There's an empty slot to the right of "whatdoes".  IMHO
: an ideal place to link http://new.openspf.org - details
: as it pleases the webmasters, a variation could be:
:
: old "news" => link to http://new.openspf.org
: empty slot => use "Council" as title with a link to an
:               interesting Council page (resolutions or
:               minutes or members)
:
: The old "services" link essentially links to the lists,
: but that's already covered by the old "mailinglist" link.
:
: A really good old page is "mechanisms", maybe it makes
: sense to replace "services" by this page.  Otherwise the
: old "services" page could mention more than the "wizard":
:
: What about say Scott's validator ?  Or the new "services"
: page instead of the redundant link to the "mailinglists" ?
:
: It's clear that improving the old pages isn't the official
: plan, but OTOH improving the old navigation box is a minor
: task - I'd guess less than an hour's work including doing
: it twice after a typo found by the W3C validator.
:
: And it automatically improves all old pages, the navigation
: box is everywhere.
                       Bye, Frank