[spf-discuss] Re: Evolutionary site change

2006-03-23 02:32:05
Casey Allen Shobe wrote:

I do agree with the UTF-8 push.

Me too generally.  But they also translate NCRs and symbolic
entities (excl. nbsp fortunately) automagically to UTF-8, and
that's a bit exaggerated - from my "mozilla 3" POV again ;-)

Critical characters include ² (anything squared), degree,
and some quotation marks.  They don't support <q> for unknown
(= I didn't ask) reasons.  In theory <q> should be smarter than
hardcoded UTF-8 quotation marks.  Especially if nested.

XHTML in general is pointless.

IBTD, we had really obscure errors here on the SPF site caused
by HTML's "default end tags".  That pain simply doesn't exist
in XHTML.  Admittedly getting inline <script> and <style> right
with XHTML working for both worlds is black magic, but OTOH
inline <script> and <style> are a bad idea to start with.

I've never seen a browser interpreting SGML </> correctly.  If
you talk about the features - then yes, no serious differences
between XHTML 1 and HTML 4.

XHTML 1.1 sent as text/html is invalid also, and XHTML 1.1
sent as required by the spec, as application/xml+xhtml or
whatever it is, doesn't work in most browsers period.

ACK, that's a dead end.  But XHTML 1.0 transitional is the best
HTML 3.2 I know... <g>  My browser vintage 1998 also likes most
of it, excluding some esoteric stuff like <tfoof> and <del>.

The HTML-->XHTML migration isn't as nice as the W3C would
like you to believe.

They are innocent, when I started to learn this I stumbled over
the O'Reilly book "HTML & XHTML", and thought that XHTML is a
bit more logical for my tastes,

Good application XHTML support is still years away.

Maybe we even get a (wannabe) "HTML 5" from the WHATWG.  Bye

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template_talk:Doctl#middot>