[spf-discuss] Re: Evolutionary site change

2006-03-12 23:52:29
Julian Mehnle wrote:

It should be far more user-friendly now.

• isn't supported by my legacy browser.  The wikipedia
folks apparently go for "use UTF-8 for everything excluding
 " - worse from my POV.  Another strategy would be to
use decimal NCRs like •  That would be displayed as a
harmless ? with my legacy browsers.

Here it's different, you could replace four explicit •
by say * in the source.  The :| x | y lines are obviously
table rows, but the resulting columns have no space between
them (cellspacing=0, cellpadding=0).

It's probably better to use some cellspacing or cellpadding
for legacy browsers, and then trash it in class="paratable"
for modern browsers.

AFAIK for XHTML all values have to be quoted, and if that's
correct it should be cellspacing="3" or similar.  At the
moment there are lots of validator nits, XHTML strict is a
tough beast.  Transitional is much better, the W3C claim
that only strict is good for accessibility is propaganda :-(

links to the "Forums" page.

Similar table problem on that page.  But there are working
cute little GIF icons, now that's a huge difference to the
"broken image" icons I get on MoinMoin for each and every
external link (because it's PNG).

Similar — problem.  Where — stands for n/a you
could simply say n/a.  Replacing it by hyphen-minus would
also work, but that's a bit too backwards even for my tastes,
at some point old Netscape navigators have to bite the dust.

Good.  But you should still use temporary links from the old
navigation box as proposed here several times, that's the
fastest way to get links to the new site on almost all old
pages - they all have the navigation box.

I think I'll implement a page footer comments feature

How about ordinary talk pages as on Wikipedia ?  Not with the
namespace overhead of course.

I'm right in the middle of another big upgrade of the Wiki
software.

Beating MoinMoin was easy, now beat the W3C validator. <gd&r>
And test the effects without CSS.

                     Bye, Frank