Re: [spf-discuss] Re: draft-schlitt-spf-classic AUTH48 review

2006-03-26 17:25:00

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006, geoffj wrote:

When publishing via TXT records, beware of other TXT records
published there for other purposes.  They may cause problems with
size limits (see Section 3.1.4).
<<Seems soft, given the intense debate about SPF (re)use of TXT.
Perhaps: "respect other TXT records ...., and note that there may be problems ..." It seems disingenuous to suggest that it is the pre-existing records which are causing the problem!>>

No such suggestion has been made! I could not properly parse what kind of text changes you wanted to make here and at what point in the paragraph.
Please do this proposal again, incorporating your changes in the text and
writing paragraph text with the changes.

I propose (affected text as << >>):
When publishing via TXT records, <<be careful to respect>> TXT records
<<already>> published there for other purposes, <<and note that there may be>>
problems with size limits (see Section 3.1.4).

I added this in as proposed changes, but I don't think I like it any better then previous text

I have in mind here the long debate we had over (re)using TXT (some SPF detractors
said "abusing"). This paragraph should be careful not to present SPF TXT
as superior, or imply that previously existing TXT records can be trashed
to leave room for SPF. This issue stays alive, I sense, even though we have 99 to solve these problems. My suggested redraft just tries to soften the impression that our information is more important than anything
else which might be found in TXT already. It's still a nit, really,
but the SPF community has worked so hard to collaborate and to be good internet citizens that we shouldn't let our drafting appear to reflect otherwise.

It doesn't and I personally was always proponent for going for new type
to begin with at MARID. However in this case we're talking about semantics
of one text over the other and I simply dont see significant difference and I like original 'beware of other TXT records' better. I also don't
think this text in the draft/rfc will make any difference what so ever
to those who think SPF is being abusive on TXT records.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks