Re: [spf-discuss] Re: spamcop and DSN

2006-08-30 11:23:10
On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Julian Mehnle wrote:

Absolutely correct.  Never ever send DSNs to unauthenticated return-paths.

That is what I do for my own domains.  But this requires rejecting
clueless senders.  My clients can't do that.  There is actually no
real problem.  I heuristically reject most of the junk, and DSNs to
clueless senders are cached and resent only once per month.  The
resulting DSN rate is very low.  My client is only occasionally blacklisted by
spamcop for 24 hours (average of once every 18 days according to spamcop).
They are fine with waiting until the next day to send their email to
clients protected by spamcop.

I still maintain that the spamtrap addresses should be protected by
SPF - then I would *never* send them a DSN for forged email (other than for
SOFTFAIL).