[spf-discuss] Re: spamcop and DSN

2006-08-30 19:16:11
Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

I send 1 DSN per braindead mailbox per month.  The rate is
very low.  Just publishing an SPF record, even a default
neutral one, prevents the DSN

I'd agree, Alex disagrees, and obviously Spamcop disagrees.
For a real victim (no spamtrap) your rate is beside the point:

If you send only one DSN per 30 days * 1000 spams, and the
spammer targets 1,000,000 addresses daily... calculating...
Let's say you're 100 of the 1,000,000, each getting 10 spams.

The spammer sends 10,000,000 spams per day, 10 * 100 to you.
That's still 10,000 DSNs over a month, if all follow exactly
your strategy, and if I got this calculation right.  Somewhat
better than the about 30,000 per month I got before SPF worked,
but with a 100 MB mailbox and POP3 over V90 it's at the border
of give up.

And to some degree I did give up, deleting almost everything,
not more the "all SUBE spamcopped" strategy I used a year ago.

What I still do is receive enough of the crap in a way that
can be reported whenever I want it:  TOP 50 of everything not
already tagged as spam by my ISP - my assumption is that spam
already identified elsewhere can't be interesting for Spamcop.
And of course anything that's older than an hour is pointless.

I will be working on webpages to reference in SMTP REJECTs.
I am skeptical that these clueless senders will be able to
cut and paste the link, but it is worth a try.

They don't cut and paste it, they copy it verbatim into their
DSN from MSA to authenticated end user.  The end user then
checks what's going on, and informs his support desk.  The
support folks have no clue and ask the relevant admin, and
if all went well your URL made it so far.

Precisely the same end result as when you send the DSN, but
without risk to run into spam traps.

Frank