Re: [spf-discuss] Re: spamcop and DSN

2006-08-29 20:00:52
On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Frank Ellermann wrote:

they seem to be oblivious to the fact that spammers are
using their spamtrap addresses for MAIL FROM!  Should I
waste my time trying to explain why their system needs
some work?

AFAIK they know this.  I wonder why you send unsolicited
DSNs to unverified Return-Paths.  That's net abuse, or did
I miss something in your scenario ?

My client is getting blacklisted on average once every 18 days.
That is not very many bogus bounces.  A blacklist lasts for 24 hours, so
it is not as bad as I thought originally.  Of course, I immediately reject
all the obvious forgeries (HELO fail, for instance - amazing how many
fogeries use my own HELO).  SPF FAIL gets a reject.  If there is
a valid PTR, or it gets a PASS, or a guessed pass from "v=spf1 a/24 mx/24 ptr",
or has a valid HELO, it gets delivered (and content filtered).  There is
a DSN for quarantined mail - but only if MAIL FROM gets SPF or guessed PASS
(I think - I'll double check the code).

There are two circumstances in which I send a DSN by default:

a) SPF softfail - because the sender is asking for debugging help

b) SPF NONE, no PTR, invalid HELO, no guessed pass (3 strikes) - there are a
   LOT of otherwise legitimate senders with this braindead setup.  It causes a
   lot of problems to simply reject them because they are clueless (or
   they would have done it right) and don't know what to do.

Whether to send DSN is configurable.  I simply reject case b in my own setup.
But clients are concerned about missing email from email-clueless customers.

Spamcop suggests using another public IP for DSNs.  This is reasonable
and feasible for most of my clients.

I have to walk a fine line between demanding authentication as much as
possible, and not blocking clueless senders.  Eventually those clueless
senders need to get a clue.