Re: [spf-discuss] Fixing Forwarding with RPF

2006-11-11 21:00:52
On Sun, 12 Nov 2006, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

OTOH, if my remarks are taken into account, there will be a list of know
forwarders (known, because the customer altered this list).  SPF is not
processed, and the receiver could still look at "To" etc.  For all other
incoming email, SPF works as usual, rejecting forgeries.

I believe the proposal was to use DNS to tell 3rd party mail providers
which forwarders to whitelist.  The mail service would lookup the
RPF record for the recipient domain (which is not owned by the 3rd party
mail service - they just run IMAP and are pointed to by MX), and not
check SPF for the listed IPs.

This is actually a good idea, and avoids mail services having to
create web pages to configure non-SRS forwarders.  It would be
ideal for vanity domains.

However, is part of the mail service, and doesn't have to be a public
standard to be effective.  (Although it would avoid reinventing the
wheel to standardize.)