[spf-discuss] I-D.crocker-email-arch-05 (was: Fixing Forwarding with RPF)

2006-11-12 06:10:35
Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

I take your point, but is "RCPT TO:" preserved in forwarding?
[...]
SPF works on RCPT TO.  If RCPT TO is not preserved, but is changed into
a local mail address (such as with SRS), no problem for SPF.  If RCPT TO
_is_ preserved, then according to SPF the host is a forger,
[...]

I was ready to post something in that direction, with some 1123 5.3.6(a)
historical notes, reverse paths, etc. because the OP probably wanted to
talk about MAIL FROM instead of RCPT TO.

For that case s/RCPT TO/MAIL FROM/g in your reply, and ignore my revised
answer, where I now took RCPT TO literally.

We need an RFC explaining why 1123 5.3.6(a) ff. are broken by design, why
RFC 821 got this right (in theory), and how SPF patched it to some degree.

What do others here think about:
<http://www3.tools.ietf.org/html/draft-crocker-email-arch-05#section-5.1>
The author has asked for feedback about the complete spec. (not only 5.1)
on the SMTP list <http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.smtp>

Frank