Re: [spf-discuss] Re: Fixing Forwarding with RPF

2006-11-13 09:25:41
On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 03:00:18PM +0000, K.J. Petrie wrote:

                                                                My concern
about relying on SRS is that it gives the impression the problem has been
fixed when it hasn't, because one system administrator cannot know what
another will do.

I see forgery as the problem, and stopping forgery as the solution.

When a forwarder uses my name, it is a forger.  When this forger starts
using SRS (or any other method) it is no longer a forger thus the problem
is solved.

Let's look at an extreme example...

Everybody is going to use forwarding.  Forwarders stay as they are now,
dumb but cheap services.  I don't expect they will be doing SPF verification.

Next: Every ISP is going to create a "workaround for SPF", meaning they
stop verifying SPF.

Nett result: nobody uses SPF records anymore.

The problem is NOT that messages aren't accepted.  The problem is mail
being forwarded using the author's name as sender.

Fixing problems at the wrong place will always result in new problems.
If you're looking for a solution to "SPF's forwarding problem", you are
looking at the wrong place, at the wrong protocol (don't shoot the
messenger!) and will end up with the wrong "solution".

Your "solution" is to not use SPF, and you're going to do so at a place
where it actually is doing its job very well.  If you forward messages
you receive, I do not want to be the one getting the bounces.

Alex