Re: [spf-discuss] Re: Fixing Forwarding with RPF

2006-11-14 09:19:48
On Tuesday 14 November 2006 14:07, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:
On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 01:52:26PM +0000, K.J. Petrie (Instabook) wrote:
Bouncing/Not bouncing isn't an SPF issue.  It's an operations issue.
With the limited exception of to verified sending addresses (e.g. SPF
Pass, but bounced for other reasons), no one should send bounces.  The
designed behavior is to reject the message during SMTP, so there is no
bounce backscatter.

Scott K

I agree. (However, I have had mail bounced to me because it failed SPF at
the recipient's mailbox, so some ISPs do.)

If a message is accepted, anywhere in the chain, and if the next hop
refuses to accept the message (due to SPF or otherwise), a bounce is
generated by the host that accepted the message in the first place (not by
the host refusing to accept it).

Thanks, yes, that explains it.

Several DSL and/or Cable providers happily accept anything their users
submit to them, and then these providers send a bounce "back" to a
victim in stead of dealing with their own abusive user themselves.

Worse, due to the amount of complaints, they close their abuse mailbox.

Alex

subscription, please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?list_id=735