[spf-discuss] Re: Better approach to the forwarder problem

2007-01-10 17:05:04
Unlike SRS, which places significant burdens on the forwarder

It's the only way to fix this old post-821 issue without some kind of
white lists (i.e. without forwarders arranging trust relationships with
all their next hops).  IMO the burden of maintaining such relationships
is higher than installing SRS once and forever.

...but isn't checking SPF on HELO effectively a minimal trust relationship
with the sender?  SPF+whitelist by name could be automated fairly easily.

For instance, it is likely that I can trust mail servers that I *send*
mail to, and a whitelist based on outgoing traffic would require
very little "manual" maintenance.

This does not solve the whole problem, but nothing else does, either. :-<

Ultimately, if we are to maintain an "open" e-mail system, we are going to have
to deal with "new arrivals" much like we do in real life.  When a
stranger appears, we are suspicious, and once a trust relationship
is established, we are more friendly.

-dgl-