Re: [spf-discuss] Re: Better approach to the forwarder problem

2007-01-10 20:24:31
On Thu, 11 Jan 2007, Frank Ellerman wrote:
Michael Deutschmann wrote:
Specifically, I'd like to see an ESMTP extension where a sender can say
"I'm a forwarder, the recipient knows me as X and trusts me, so don't
SPF-check this message".  X would be an identity that the recipient MTA

For SPF the X could be the HELO identity with an SPF PASS - and how the

"X" can be quite distinct from Microsoft's PRA or the HELO.  The concept
is that X will be stable over the life of a forwarded address (indeed, it
will probably -be- the forwarded address). The responsibility for
delivering outgoing forwards may shift among computers that a
forwarding-provider owns, thus changing the name presented at HELO.

next hop (receiver) arranges his list of known-to-be-good forwarders
is his local business.

It still is.  I'm not claiming the use of the extension would somehow
allow the forwarder to "force himself" into the whitelist -- that's
obviously silly.

The problem I mean to solve is that whitelisting forwarders is difficult.
There's no automatic way for ISP 1 to translate a client's request "I'm
now forwarding my mail from <jdoe(_at_)isp-2(_dot_)com> to the
<jdoe(_at_)isp-1(_dot_)net>
mailbox you admin, please whitelist them" into an actual MTA policy.

The closest thing to a sensible heuristic is whitelisting any host that
closed-loop rDNSes as "*.isp-2.com".  But that can easily fail in both
directions.  For example, it would give "123-45-67-89.adsl.dyn.isp-2.com"
forwarder privileges, which could be very bad if ISP 2 doesn't port-25
block.  Or ISP 3 could buy ISP 2 and centralize all mail functions, so
that the forwarded mail comes from "mail.isp-3.com" and isn't whitelisted
any more.

While under my idea, ISP 2 could forward the mail using
"jdoe(_at_)isp-2(_dot_)com"
as X.  There would also be an SPF-like DNS record at "isp-2.com"
indicating that only mail.isp-2.com does forwarding for isp-2.com
addresses, so spammers can't impersonate that forwarder. When ISP 3 takes
over, they repoint the SPF-alike, and then mail.isp-3.com can seamlessly
take over the job.