Re: [spf-discuss] Election issue: forwarding problem

2007-01-26 05:52:40
On Thursday 25 January 2007 23:50, Michael Deutschmann wrote:
An attitude I'd like to see stopped is the position that since SRS patches
now exist for most MTAs, administrators should ignore the forwarding
problem and just enable receiverside SPF checking blindly.  Such
brinksmanship might be the only way to drive significant SRS uptake, but I
believe that will in fact hurt us.

I should have also added that I think that while 3rd party patching of MTAs
directly for experimental purposes is a fine idea, it's not suitable for a
long term solution to any software problem.  I don't think we have SRS
support in an MTA until the patch has been incoporated in the MTA's source or
SRS can be supported through a publically defined/supported interface.  By
that measure I'm not sure any MTAs suitably support SRS (Sendmail is
possibly/probably the lone exception - I know milters doing SRS have to use a
non-milter API call to change mail from, but not if they are using a public
or private interface to do it).

Scott K