Re: [spf-discuss] Re: Election issue: forwarding problem

2007-01-27 04:42:34
At 02:06 AM 1/27/2007 +0000, Julian Mehnle wrote:
David MacQuigg wrote:
> Is anyone interested in helping me compile such a list [of "Reputable
> Email Service Providers"]?

In order to be fair, such a list requires some formal criteria.  Can you
suggest some?

- not rejecting or labeling as spam, mail from a domain that the recipient would like "whitelisted".

I guess we should make the list one of "Reputable and Competent Email Service Providers", since competence is the issue when we are discussing problems on the receiver's side.

It occurs to me that it would be much easier to maintain a list of the few large services (and spam appliances) that have problems, not the vast majority that don't. This will also allow us to publish a short statement of exactly what the problem is with a particular service. Here is a start:

aol.com - see earlier discussion

yahoo.com - offers blacklisting, but no option for recipients to whitelist a sender. The sender is expected to register with Yahoo as a Mailing List, and this is a difficult process, especially for forwarders and other senders who are not mailing lists.

Any others?  Please be specific.

Most small companies now use a spam appliance, like the Barracuda box we have at U of A. These seem to be very "user friendly" in providing a nice web interface for whitelisting and blacklisting.

-- Dave