Re: [spf-discuss] Election issue: forwarding problem

2007-01-26 04:04:59
On Thu, 25 Jan 2007, I wrote:
Well, about time I voted...

The reason I bothered registering is that I see one area where the SPF
effort could be guided better.  This is the forwarding problem.

[...]

Any reaction from the candidates to this position?

So far I've seen two responses, one from Kitterman that was
sortof-positive, and one from Ellerman that was sortof-negative.

I thought of a simpler way to seperate people who are on my wavelength
from those who are not:

All of you, I understand, are promising to proselytize SPF deployment as
much as possible.

What I'm looking for is an understanding that, while senderside SPF
deployment can and should be encouraged with full force, we need to take
it slow on the receiverside to avoid problems of the sort Per Jessen
just walked in with.

Basically, I think we should consider it a receiverside "victory" when an
ISP is adding Received-SPF: headers, and offering a reject-on-SPF-fail
policy on a per-mailbox *opt-in* basis.  When an ISP deploys "armed"
receiverside SPF as the default policy, that isn't a victory -- in fact
it's a dangerous situation that we should avoid leading people into.

---- Michael Deutschmann <michael(_at_)talamasca(_dot_)ocis(_dot_)net>