Re: [spf-discuss] forwarded mail being bounced (by spf check)

2007-01-26 05:59:38
On Friday 26 January 2007 03:19, Per Jessen wrote:
I've just this morning received a reject of a mail due to a third party
check of SPF. I'm curious as to how to work around this - or if I
should.

Apologies for leaving out the actual domain name; I am obliged to
respect customer confidentiality.

1. I send an email to "peter(_at_)theirdomain" - my return address
is "bounces(_at_)spamchek(_dot_)com".
2. Apparently this is forwarded from "peter(_at_)theirdomain"
to "peter(_at_)anotherdomain".  This appears to be done by the mailserver
for <theirdomain>.
3. The mail server at <anotherdomain> rejects it due to <theirdomain>
not being listed as a mailserver for <spamchek.com>.

Should this really be happening?

Should, no, but in reality this happens.

When anotherdomain.com set up SPF checking they should have added a facility
for users to exempt forwarders from SPF checks.  The fact that they didn't is
not rare.

What I've done the two times this has happened to me is just resent the
message directly to peter(_at_)anotherdomain(_dot_)

Scott K