[spf-discuss] Re: Test suite update

2007-03-19 13:16:52
Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

for the museum. example:

The machine with IP address 195.7.77.17 has name musedoma.museum.
It ought to say "HELO musedoma.museum" (if sending mail at all, dunno).

If it wishes to survive a reverse DNS test.  The DNSOP WG has
just discussed an I-D in this direction:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/ietf-dnsop-reverse-mapping-considerations

This I-D is already watered down to the "you could at least try
to arrange reverse DNS" level in version 02, and there's still
some opposition... :-(

Should its PTR record point to "museum.", the situation would be
different IMHO.

See below.

The host with name "ws." should, if it sends mail, say "HELO ws".

Arguably, it would be an SMTP (2821) syntax error.  The 2821bis
changelog is fascinating:

| G.1.  Changes from RFC 2821 to the initial (-00) version of this draft
[...]
|   o  syntax for "domain" corrected to permit
user(_at_)x(_dot_)y(_dot_)z(_dot_) and user(_at_)tld(_dot_)
|      references
[...]
| G.2.  Changes from version -00 to -01
[...]
|   2.  Syntax for, and discussion of, domains changed to permit single-
|       label domain names, but only (with a SHOULD) if the trailing
|       period is specified.
[...]

With that the state of the art might be what Scott and you said.

Don't look at the 2821bis ABNF too critical, it isn't ready, the
prose is in section 2.3.5 "Domain Names":

| A domain name (or often just a "domain") consists of one or more dot-
| separated components.  In the case of a top-level domain used by
| itself in an email address, a single subdomain is used followed by a
| dot (a single-component name, without any dots, SHOULD NOT be
| supported: these are too easily confused with partial names.  These
| components ("labels" in DNS terminology, RFC1035 [5]) are restricted
| for SMTP purposes to consist of a sequence of letters, digits, and
| hyphens drawn from the ASCII character set [1].  Domain names are
[...]

It should probably list policy "v=spf1 ip4:63.101.245.10 -all" or
"v=spf1 a -all" at domain "ws.".

Yes.  Topic drift, for months (years ?) we said that "v=spf1 a -all"
is the "typical" HELO policy.  But actually it doesn't reflect what
you talked about at the begin, reverse DNS.

Should we better propose "v=spf1 ptr -all" as typical HELO policy ?

There does not seem to be running a mailserver at this domain, at
least not one I can reach.

If somebody has already implemented 2821bis draft 01 that would be
very fast... :-)

Frank