Re: [spf-discuss] Re: Test suite update

2007-03-19 13:35:09
On Mon, 19 Mar 2007, Frank Ellermann wrote:

Don't look at the 2821bis ABNF too critical, it isn't ready, the
prose is in section 2.3.5 "Domain Names":

| A domain name (or often just a "domain") consists of one or more dot-
| separated components.  In the case of a top-level domain used by
| itself in an email address, a single subdomain is used followed by a
| dot (a single-component name, without any dots, SHOULD NOT be
| supported: these are too easily confused with partial names.  These
| components ("labels" in DNS terminology, RFC1035 [5]) are restricted
| for SMTP purposes to consist of a sequence of letters, digits, and
| hyphens drawn from the ASCII character set [1].  Domain names are
[...]

Ok, based on that, I might be convinced that "A:%{h}" should

  not match for "HELO museum"
  match (with appropriate IP) for "HELO museum."

Should we better propose "v=spf1 ptr -all" as typical HELO policy ?

Only if you want to verify that the domain owner also controls
the IP address.  This is in general true for large companies,
but almost never true for small companies and individuals.