[spf-discuss] Re: HELO vs. EHLO

2007-03-25 13:59:40
Julian Mehnle wrote:

all of RFC 2821 is paved with hints that compatibility with "older
client SMTP systems (as specified in RFC 821)" is to be maintained.

Yes.  At that time there still was a more or less "hardwired" list
of TLDs, and they weren't used as hosts.  And "domain completion"
(host => FQDN) was (wild guess) more common than today.

At the time RFC 2821 was made, EHLO could be fixed (as it didn't
exist before), but HELO couldn't.

Nope, EHLO existed, see RFC 1869, a part of STD 10 (like RFC 821).
RFC 1869 obsoleted RFC 1651, that obsoleted RFC 1425, apparently
that's where they invented EHLO (1993).

RFC 2821 tried to consolidate the various pieces as they were, a
part in 821 (STD 10), another in 1123 (STD 3), a third part in
1869 (STD 10), and the RFC 974 stuff (I need to read that).  With
pointers to the DSN RFCs, etc.

I'm currently in the middle of exam preparations (did you notice
that I haven't been posting to the spf-* lists for a few weeks?)

The lists were generally very quiet.  "Exam preparations" sounds
pretty dangerous, good luck with that.

Frank
--
<strong lang="de"> Mut zur L&uuml;cke! </strong>