[spf-discuss] HELO vs. EHLO (was: Test suite update)

2007-03-24 21:42:48
Julian Mehnle wrote:

Strict 2821 implementations could reject "HELO ws" and "HELO ws."
as SMTP syntax errors.

I don't think this is correct.  A strict interpretation of RFC 2821
requires only the "EHLO" command -- not the "HELO" command -- to
have an FQDN.  (This is obviously due to RFC 821 _not_ requiring an
FQDN with "HELO", and due to many legacy implementations not giving
one.)

Please join the IETF SMTP list, the 2821-to-DS effort was restarted.

For the issue at hand, 2821 claims to obsolete 821, and a strict 2821
implementation would by definition do whatever 2821 says.  There are
some cases where 2821 explicitly says "look into 821 for details".

| (However, for compatibility with older conforming implementations,
|  SMTP clients and servers MUST support the original HELO mechanisms
|  as a fallback.)  Unless the different characteristics of HELO must
| be identified for interoperability purposes, this document discusses
| only EHLO.

The details are explained in section 4.1.1.1 (EHLO or HELO), and the
specified syntax is:

|  Syntax:
|
|     ehlo            = "EHLO" SP Domain CRLF
|     helo            = "HELO" SP Domain CRLF

So the syntax is in essence identical, with the (in)famous "one dot":

|     Domain = (sub-domain 1*("." sub-domain)) / address-literal

So why do you think that a strict-2821 server "should" (?) not reject
HELO ws / HELO ws. but would reject EHLO ws / EHLO ws. ?  Somewhere
501 is explicitly mentioned as possible reaction after EHLO:

| If the EHLO command is not acceptable to the SMTP server, 501, 500,
| or 502 failure replies MUST be returned as appropriate.

Now I'm cheating and jump to 821, where the corresponding text is:

| If the HELO command argument is not acceptable a 501 failure reply
| must be returned and the receiver-SMTP must stay in the same state.

Clearly 501 is allowed after both HELO and EHLO, but this might be
about an EHLO or HELO in a state where it makes no sense.

John has posted "HELO" as open issue for 2821bis, so far no replies.

Frank