Re: [spf-discuss] Re: Test suite update

2007-03-19 15:51:23
On Mon, 19 Mar 2007, Frank Ellermann wrote:

Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

Using "museum" as host in an http URL also works:  http://museum

It doesn't work if local DNS configuration specifies a domain or
search path.  E.g.  for /etc/resolv.conf on unix systems:

  domain example.com

Interesting, I use "domain invalid" for this purpose on OS/2 in
file d:\mptn\etc\resolv (OS/2 uses TCP/IP stacks with BSD roots.)

Do you have the same issue for the following URLs:

1: http://museum/     (that's where I arrive when using "museum")
2: http://museum.
3: http://museum./    (that's where I arrive when using "museum.")

Trailing dot works.  On linux systems (e.g. FC4), the plain museum
works only if there is no local name 'museum' (i.e., if it doesn't
find the relative name on the search path, it tries it as absolute).

I am now even more commited to the interpretation that museum needs a
trailing dot to be a FQDN.