RE: [spf-discuss] Forwarder whitelisting reloaded

2008-01-10 11:25:10
At 11:05 AM 1/10/2008 -0500, Stuart wrote:

C: MAIL FROM:<bla(_at_)example(_dot_)com> AUTH=forwarder.org

You would want

C: MAIL FROM:<bla(_at_)example(_dot_)com> AUTH=mailbox(_at_)forwarder(_dot_)org

A receiver might want to whitelist only selected mailboxes at
a forwarder (e.g. their own).

You must mean a *recipient* might want to whitelist only their own mailbox.
Receivers are often unaware of the forwarding arrangements made by recipients.

I wish we had a shared terminology for the various entities in an exchange.
From this and other recent discussions on this list, I'm trying to build a
mental picture of how this group views the transfer of a typical email.  Is
this a good picture:

Sender --> Relay --> /Border/ --> Forwarder(s) --> Receiver --> Recipient

I'm following Julian's use of "Relay" to distinguish an MTA on the Sender's
side from the "Forwarder(s)" on the Recipient's side.  I have included the
possibility of multiple Forwarders, but only one Relay, assuming any MTA's
closer to the Sender really *belong* to the Sender, and don't add anything
useful to the picture.

Is this a good model, or at least good enough that we can use it as a basis for
simple discussions, and clarify when we need to add something?

-- Dave