[spf-discuss] Re: Forwarder whitelisting reloaded

2008-01-16 08:16:54
Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

The number of admins (ADMDs) is different.  In the 2nd
scenario it's easy to say "you broke it, you fix it" ;-)

... because I disagree. This is also possible in the
first scenario. In both cases it is the recipient (or
his employer, or his ISP, or...) who screwed up.

The recipient is an ordinary user, and ordinary users are
IMO entitled to be clueless - well, if they still "surf"
as Windows admin they should get ready for jail time if
that ends as it must end.

The admin of the forwarder is not forced to support SRS,
the admin of the receiver is not forced to white list
the forwarder.  They didn't *break* anything that wasn't
already broken by RFC 1123 5.3.6(a).  I submitted an
erratum for this RFC, but this wasn't about 5.3.6(a).

2821bis does not acknowledge that RFC 1123 5.3.6(a) was
always broken.  I think we differ from 2821bis, but if
forwarders strictly follow 2821bis they only *break*
RFC 821, and everybody knows that RFC 821 isn't up to
date.  RFC 4408 claims that RFC 821 reverse routes are
"archaic", an appeal against this wording was rejected.

Unless the IESG decides that 2821bis is too important
to do it outside of a proper IETF WG we'll get what it
says at the moment:

| To expand an alias, the recipient mailer simply
| replaces the pseudo-mailbox address in the envelope
| with each of the expanded addresses in turn; the rest
| of the envelope and the message body are left unchanged.
| The message is then delivered or forwarded to each
| expanded address.

"We" know that this cannot work for the 821-architecture
after 1123 killed the reverse routes, but obviously "we"
didn't manage to convince the author of 2821bis-06 that
this is madness for addresses at 3rd parties (in another
ADMD or MRN, pick what you like best).

 Frank