[spf-discuss] Re: Forwarder whitelisting reloaded

2008-01-12 09:44:58
Frank, your writing is brilliant, but hard to follow with all the acronyms and
"insider" talk.  For those new to the list, whenever Frank says "Dave", he is
referring not to me, but to Dave Crocker, an email expert who wrote "Internet
Mail Architecture"
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-crocker-email-arch-09.txt, a grand
unified synthesis of email terminology and concepts.

Using Crocker's terminology from Fig. 3, our diagram

                              /
Sender(s) --> Transmitter--> / --> Receiver --> Forwarder(s) --> MDA -->
Recipient
                            /
                         Border
might look like:

Originator(s) --> Source --> Relay(s) --> Dest --> Recipient

with no special role for Transmitter or Receiver, and no special significance
or even recognition of a Border between originating and receiving networks.  In
Crocker's view, there are many borders, one for each ADMD (Administrative
Management Domain).  An ADMD might include one or more of the {Source,
Relay(s), Dest} machine-level entities in the above diagram.  If we want
administrative-level entities, the best we can do is Fig.4:

   +-------+                           +-------+    +-------+
   | ADMD1 |                           | ADMD3 |    | ADMD4 |
   | ----- |                           | ----- |    | ----- |
   |       |   +---------------------->|       |    |       |
   | User  |   |                       |-Edge--+--->|-User  |
   |  |    |   |    +---------+   +--->|       |    |       |
   |  V    |   |    |  ADMD2  |   |    +-------+    +-------+
   | Edge--+---+    |  -----  |   |
   |       |   |    |         |   |
   +-------+   +----|-Transit-+---+
                    |         |
                    +---------+

Again, no recognition of a single, most-important Border.  Even worse from an
SPF point-of-view, this diagram implies there are "Transit ADMDs" with no
relationship to either side.

I think Crocker's document is a noble effort to satisfy everyone, but in doing
that, it ends up with such complexity and generality that it is hard to use
when we need simplicity and specificity for a particular discussion, like we
are having now on how to solve the forwarding problem.

Luckily, we don't need to satisfy everyone, just the participants in this
discussion.  We can use terminology like "transmitter" and "border", expand the
diagram as needed to include a few "secondary borders", then make a new diagram
for the next discussion.

One last question, before we proceed with the discussion - Should we clarify
the role of Sender, i.e. individual vs domain?  My sense is that we are talking
about a domain, but it probably doesn't matter.  Crocker's document defines
Originator as being equivalent to Author, so it seems he referring to an
individual.  Maybe we should just use the phrase "individual sender" in any
context where it matters.