Re: [spf-discuss] Re: Forwarder whitelisting reloaded

2008-01-14 15:31:08
On Mon, 14 Jan 2008, David MacQuigg wrote:

I don't know AOL's policies, but assuming they don't blacklist senders when
there is only a very small amount of spam leaking through, a less severe
Forwarder's policy might work.  Perhaps Stuart could suspend just one
Recipient account on the first spam report.  That will ensure the Recipient
knows not to do it again.  Maybe the problem is absent-mindedness.  The
Recipient should figure out how to segregate the forwarded mail from anything
else which he might report as spam.  That may even require setting up a whole
new account just to receive forwarded mail.  I've done this with all MDAs
that handle my own mail.  Most accounts are free, so its not a big deal.

I did that at first.  But, it is a pretty consistent statistical fact that
anyone who uses AOL mail is utterly clueless about email and computers in
general, and is incapable of understanding what the problem is and how
their actions are responsible.  They might be (and usually are) smart in
other ways, but are computer idiots.  So refusing to forward to AOL is the
only workable solution until AOL makes their blacklists available to
forwarders, or makes other arrangements.

AOL is a poster child for why the canard about how SPF "breaks forwarding"
is complete FUD.  *Any* system that blocks the sources of spam
"breaks forwarding".  And that is as it should be.  Alias forwarding
is broken, SPF or no SPF.  It can only work when specifically configured
by the receiver as well as forwarder.