[spf-discuss] How to modify the MAIL FROM argument? (was: Re: Top problems with SPF acceptance)

2008-02-27 11:23:58
Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
[An MTA maintainer] *should* be interested in allowing user extensions (via postfix policy daemons or milter api) to modify MAIL FROM.

I'd still be interested in knowing what an API to modify MAIL FROM might look like. I'm not quite familiar with neither postfix nor sendmail (I use Courier).

I change the MAIL FROM via a -f command line switch, and I do it upon delivery, i.e. after accepting responsibility for delivering the message. For example, I have ".courier" files (similar to ".forward") and for SPF compliance I had to substitute lines like

   forward(_at_)example(_dot_)com

with

   |/usr/sbin/sendmail -f postmaster(_at_)mine forward(_at_)example(_dot_)com

Using milter apparently implies doing it earlier. Is that right after the MAIL FROM(!?), after RCPT, or after DATA?

Sometimes, I forward based on specific message contents, using maildrop, that's the reason why I find it more natural to do it after the message has been accepted. What are the pros of doing it "online"?

Proposals should distance themselves from specific applications.  If an example
is needed to show why it would be useful to modify MAIL FROM, pick
one like BATV, since SRS seems to have accumulated bad vibes in his mind.

Can that be understood in an MTA-independent manner? You already mentioned a number of different policies (i.e. BATV, SRS, ecc.) that can be applied according with different strategies (i.e. after RCPT, after DATA, after acceptance), thus an MTA-wise fragmentation on top of that is quite an hindrance for any development.

In other words, if we had a nice program that did The Right Thing for each forwarded recipient, how would we fit it into our differing MTAs? I assume that, in order to fix forwarding, we aim at designing such a program. If not, please tell me what are the alternatives.

TIA