Re[14]: [spf-discuss] Trying to understand the best recommendation for my client, help appreciated.

2009-05-13 23:43:09
you  will seem to any of us compliance extremists just to be another
spambot  as  no other SPF checks are considered trusted if HELO/EHLO
doesn't pass.

i never meant to imply it was [in RFC 4408]

i wasn't talking about RFC compliance but simply Best practice

In  a newsgroup focused on a pub'd standard, if you don't want readers
to think you're talking about compliance with the standard, you should
use  words  other  than "compliance" to describe your motivation for a
certain configuration.

Maybe  "stricter-than-standards  anti-abuse  architectures"  is a fair
wrapper  term  for  your policies, which I don't use judgmentally. "My
server,  my  rules"  thinking  and "standards compliance" thinking are
starkly  different.  Both  have their place, but mixing terms from one
with  policies from the other is bound to confuse. From looking at the
textual description of your ruleset, it seems well-thought-out and not
egregiously draconian. Still, the rules are local rules that don't fit
the  open  standards and/or public regulatory meaning of "compliance,"
but rather within the realm of personal/internal policies.

I'm  sure  there  was  no  way  to  say  this without it adding to the
negative  tone,  but  I  can't  see  a  way  out of it. I'll add a few
smileys. :)))

--Sandy