Re[16]: [spf-discuss] Trying to understand the best recommendation for my client, help appreciated.

2009-05-15 04:49:23
 You did refer to CDOSYS in a separate reply in the thread, but at
that time you weren't consistently identifying CDOSYS.

The  archives'll  reflect  that  I used the brand "CDOSYS" in the very
first post in which the product was mentioned. And since CDOSYS is the
only  non-deprecated  SMTP  client  library (the old one being CDONTS)
that  begins  with  the  letters  C-D-O, there could not have been any
doubt to someone who knows the Microsoft programming technologies that
that  was  the flavor that continued to be under discussion. It is not
obligatory  to  continuously  provide  longhand for an off-topic post.
That  was why I answered it off-list -- before being summoned back for
a flame war.

There  is  the  very  absurdity of this topic again: I remain the only
list  member  (the only one who responded, at least) who knew what the
OP  was  talking  about.  I  simply  stated that I would "take it from
here."   That  led  to  all  kinds  of  arguments  (!)  about  whether
product-specific  knowledge  might  be of assistance to solve the OP's
problem.  I  rightly  took  those  arguments as directly insulting the
significance of this hard-earned part of my skill set.

Out  of  the box CDOSYS provides limited implementations of SMTP and
NNTP  client functionality; it is not and was never intended to be a
full-fledged  SMTP  implementation,  or  even  a  full  SMTP  client
implementation.

CDOSYS is an SMTP client library; there is no difference of opinion on
this  point  in  the  world  in which CDOSYS is used; this is not your
world as an Exchange admin.

If Microsoft's summary "The CDOSYS library is an implementation of the
Simple  Mail  Transfer  Protocol  (SMTP) and the Network News Transfer
Protocol  (NNTP)"  does  not  convince you that there is strong vendor
support for this real-world usage, I guess nothing will.

It   is   a   tautology   that  a  complete  RFC  821/822  smtp-sender
implementation  differs  from the feature set of CDOSYS and many other
products    nonetheless    correctly    labeled    as    SMTP   client
libraries/components/APIs.  For one example, a full RFC implementation
would  include  the  ability  to  perform  direct  DNS-based delivery.
However, the SMTP client libraries used by common MUAs such as Outlook
and  Thunderbird are still correctly called SMTP libraries. Likewise a
library  used  by  a  mail  blaster  may  support DNS lookups, but not
support  as  full  a  list  of  SMTP  AUTH mechanisms as the Microsoft
libraries. It is still an SMTP library.

All that aside, let's get back to your original implication that
Alan was somehow less than experienced with SMTP just because he'd
not heard of CDO and family.

No,  that  is a deliberate misquote, and the implication was plain: of
the  two  (later  three)  people considering an off-topic post in this
newsgroup  regarding  a  well-known  vendor's  product,  I  am the one
qualified   to   answer   the   question   accurately  because  of  my
product-specific  knowledge. Attempts to undermine the significance of
deep product-specific knowledge will not fly.

Nothing you have posted contravenes this original implication.

--Sandy