Re[11]: [spf-discuss] Trying to understand the best recommendation for my client, help appreciated.

2009-05-13 16:40:27
At 19:44 13/05/2009  Wednesday, Sanford Whiteman wrote:
I'm out and won't be replying to this trolls followups

Interesting  redefinition of the term "troll"

entirely the definition someone continually being insulting to raise a reaction
from newsgroup members is the origin of the term

from someone striving so
hard  to  try  to get a paid consulting gig through this mailing list.

offering my services was no more than an aside

This  isn't  a marketplace, kid. If you don't know how to help someone
with the problem that is actually at hand, drop out.

i completely answered his original post
indicating that no headers are checked by spf
and advising him that it is only the HELO identity and the envelope from that
are checked

You  actually  said  that familiarity with a library is unimportant to
"anyone but the programmer" -- anyone but the programmer who wrote the
compiled  library?  *snicker*

no anyone but the programmer writing the app that utilises the library
{how is this not obvious!!}

Then you gave a completely wrong answer about CDOSYS,

if the answer given is wrong explain how the manual indicates it the very
method to use to set the envelope-sender

{i'm not claiming it is the only or best method just the first seen via a
cursory glance a documentation}
and i quote directly from the page {and include the directions to same as it
cannot be linked to directly
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms527274(EXCHG.10).aspx

MSDNMSDN Home >MSDN Library>MSDN Learn>MSDN Downloads>MSDN Support>MSDN
Community >MSDN Library >Win32 and COM Development >Messaging and Collaboration
CDO for Windows 2000 >Reference >Interfaces >IConfiguration Interface

Exchange Server 2003
IConfiguration Interface

Topic Last Modified: 2004-06-08  IConfiguration Interface

The IConfiguration interface defines properties and methods that you can use to
access configuration information for Microsoft Collaboration Data Objects (CDO)
objects. IID CD000022-8B95-11D1-82DB-00C04FB1625D
Extends IDispatch Member Summary

Properties Name         Type    Description

Fields

(Read-only)
ADODB.Fields

Fields* The Fields collection for the object.

Methods Name    Description

Load    Loads the specified configuration.

GetInterface
Reserved for future use. Remarks

You can access configuration settings on implementing objects by using the
IConfiguration interface. The Fields property references an ADO Fields
collection, and each Field object in the collection contains a name/value pair
that defines part of a particular configuration. Consult the appropriate fields
section of the reference for a list of valid fields to use. Most field names
associated with configuration settings reside in the
http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/ namespace.
 Example

The following example demonstrates use of the IConfiguration interface on a CDO
Configuration object. When sending messages from a machine that does not have a
Simple Mail Transport Protocol (SMTP) service installed, you must send the
message using an SMTP service on the network. A Configuration object is
created, populated with configuration information, and then associated with a
Message object using the IMessage.Configuration property. The SMTP server name,
port, user display name, e-mail address, and credentials are all set as a part
of the configuration. The table below lists the values used. Note that a
field's fully qualified name must be used for reference. For configuration
fields, all field names are prefixed with the
http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/ namespace; for example, the
fully qualified name for the smtpserver field is
http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserver. To save space, the
fields in the table below are listed without the
 names
pace prefix.

Namespace: http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/ Field        Value

smtpserver
mail.example.com

smtpserverport
67

smtpaccountname
My Name

sendemailaddress
"MySelf" <example(_at_)example(_dot_)com>

smtpauthenticate
cdoBasic (1)

sendusername
domain\username

sendpassword
password

Smtpusessl
True (VARIANT_TRUE)

Sendusing
cdoSendUsingPort (2)

Once the Configuration object has been populated with relevant configuration
information and associated with the Message object, the message is sent. In the
following example, the CdoConfiguration module constants are used to identify
the desired field. These constants are simply the full names of the fields in
the namespace. For example, the CdoConfiguration constant cdoSMTPServer is
equal to the string ?http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserver.?

after lying about having familiarity with Exchange.

where do i lie about familiarity,
I have installed and configured/fixed exchange servers since it was first
released. yes i never recommend it {but that is simply due to its longstanding
non-rfc non-BCP behaviour*} but many of my customers run it and I administer it
for them.

*even now its incapable of forwarding messages in a way that complies with
microsoft's own demands on forwarders to comply with sender-id

Was it that you had too much familiarity to give the right answer? Then
you  gave  another completely wrong answer after doing more "research"
in  Microsoft's  documentation. I guess you're just too deep inside at
this point.

i have only given one answer 1
anything else i have made is a quote from their documentation

Perish  the  thought that you might actually have tried the technology
first before answering with any degree of authority.

I havn't claimed any authority on M$ or CDO, just on SPF and SMTP Sender-id etc.
I HAVE stated i have never heard of CDO and have no need to not being a
software programmer

Hmm, but then you would  have  actually  spent  uncompensated  time helping
someone out.

I did with my original response and others on this list will know i have not
just given uncompensated advice but hand held many through complete re-design
and writing of SPF records just because i wholeheartedly support the promotion
and use of the standard

{anything that makes it easier for my and my customers mail servers to
distinguish legitimate from illegitimate mail is compensation enough}

Worse,  you  might  have  accidentally  achieved  some  expertise in a Windows
technology.

why would anyone want to do that? i worked for MSN for long enough to know that
i wouldn't ever want to do that

That can be very dangerous: you might not care to use  tired epithets like
'M$' and 'tecNOT' anymore, and what fun would
life  be  if  you  couldn't  mock  somebody's  platform  choices while
claiming you were there to help (for money)?

sorry but yes i will berate their tech as long as i see it being the main PITA
for all of the mailsystems of receivers and senders i maintain

Anyway,  go  get  'em  on  the use of frames, le tigre. You want me to
PayPal  you  something  for  your  trouble  in  going  to MSDN for two
seconds?

as i said i wish to discontinue this continued personal attacks, i find it
inappropriate for a supposedly professional forum
I have not resorted to your level and only responded here due to the personal
nature of your comments

--Sandy