Re: [spf-discuss] Feature request for SPFv3

2009-07-14 05:09:01
Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:
Even if the DNS in-addr.arpa entry points to that bigisp, which then points
back to the IP address, "v=spf1 a -all" will still validate an HELO parameter
like "smtp-out.example.com".

AFAIK, that will validate postmaster(_at_)smtp-out(_dot_)example(_dot_)com, not user(_at_)example(_dot_)com unless example.com has an A record with the same number. (In that case it could have just said "HELO example.com".)

I am talking about using the name provided by HELO to validate a MAIL FROM
identity - not the HELO identity.

Would "a:%{h2}" do the trick here?

That was the reason I wondered about an equality relationship. Say smtp-out is delivering two messages, one from user(_at_)example(_dot_)com and one from user(_at_)example(_dot_)ORG, a virtual domain. Both messages are delivered during the same session, but %{h2} is example.com, not .ORG.

I would say that example.com ~ example.ORG iff they share at least one primary MX. Such relationship would be reflexive and symmetric, but not necessarily transitive. In addition, it apparently confuses smtp-out and smtp-in.