Re: [spf-discuss] SPF, DKIM, and NIH

2009-10-14 15:04:07
At 19:35 14/10/2009  Wednesday, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
Ian Eiloart wrote:
One strategy I'm considering is to start rejecting content filtered
email (at end of message)
We do that. We don't quarantine anything: if we don't like it, we reject it
at smtp time, otherwise we deliver it with spamassassin comments added, so
that users can filter if they wish. Above a certain threshold, though, we
simply reject.

The common criterion for dropping is that by rejecting you are providing a
free test machine for spammers to keep trying various alternatives until they
get the message through. (Well, transferring SA comments to a multi-line
rejection text isn't usually provided.)

the opposing view is of course by rejecting the spammer usually dosn't profit
accepted messages {even if spamfoldered or quarantined} are still counted as
deliveries and thus result in profit

also rejections from false-positives give the sender an opportunity for
response, out of band contact for whitelisting, or other remediation
accept>dump gives no way for sender or recipient to detect and remedy false
positives