Re: [spf-discuss] SPF, DKIM, and NIH

2009-10-16 05:18:52

--On 14 October 2009 20:35:16 +0200 Alessandro Vesely <vesely(_at_)tana(_dot_)it> wrote:

Ian Eiloart wrote:
One strategy I'm considering is to start rejecting content filtered
email (at end of message)

We do that. We don't quarantine anything: if we don't like it, we reject
it at smtp time, otherwise we deliver it with spamassassin comments
added, so that users can filter if they wish. Above a certain threshold,
though, we simply reject.

The common criterion for dropping is that by rejecting you are providing
a free test machine for spammers to keep trying various alternatives
until they get the message through. (Well, transferring SA comments to a
multi-line rejection text isn't usually provided.)

The reason we don't drop is the possibility of false positives. After a reject, they should be returned to the sender. Also, I like to think that rejection might persuade a spammer to leave our site alone.

Is there a way of determining which spams are likely to be fed back to the spammers?

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex