Re: [spf-discuss] SPF, DKIM, and NIH

2009-10-16 05:32:38

--On 14 October 2009 15:08:15 -0700 David MacQuigg <macquigg(_at_)ece(_dot_)arizona(_dot_)edu> wrote:

OK, I think I understand now what you mean by "sender".  Sender
(individual author) addresses are worthless to identify bad senders.
See above.

That's simply not my experience. I've seen spear phishing attacks from gmail accounts that are listed on blacklists. The blacklisting of sender addresses does have value to me.

But, there's a bigger picture here. I'd like to rate-limit new senders that haven't earned a good reputation. I can do that for individual gmail users, but can't apply the same rate limit to all gmail users.

Therefore, I need a reputation system that allows me to key on sender addresses. However, to do that, I need some sort of assurance that the author address hasn't been spoofed.

Why rate limit? Well, for example, I see about 1% of users responding to spear-phishing with passwords, and (amusingly, but annoyingly) about 1% responding with abuse to the phisher, and about 1% reporting the abuse to me. So, an effective phishing attack requires to hit a few hundred people at a time. I'd be quite happy with freezing mail in my mail queue in these circumstances, for new bulk senders from large ESPs, until I can approve it.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex