Re: [spf-discuss] SPF, DKIM, and NIH

2009-10-19 10:02:48
Ian Eiloart wrote:

--On 16 October 2009 14:27:28 -0700 David MacQuigg <macquigg(_at_)ece(_dot_)arizona(_dot_)edu> wrote:

OK, I think I understand now what you mean by "sender".  Sender
(individual author) addresses are worthless to identify bad senders.
See above.

That's simply not my experience. I've seen spear phishing attacks from
gmail accounts that are listed on blacklists. The blacklisting of
sender addresses does have value to me.

I wasn't aware of any blacklists of individual sender addresses. I would
like to give it a try.  Where can I find one?

<http://www.scamnailer.info/> has a script that will update spamassassin or clamav configurations with a list of about 14k addresses that have been used for scamming. I think the S/A rules generalises from those addresses a little.

I'm having a hard time believing this actually works. Of the spam hitting your receiver, what percent is rejected by finding a *bad* individual sender address on the scamnailer list?

I've seen successful spear phishing attacks that would have failed if we'd implemented this check at the time. The proportion doesn't much matter. It's the harm avoided that matters.

"Would have" is not enough. Too many websites like this are selling snake oil. Let us know when you have some actual experience using a product or service.

Effectiveness (percent rejected) does matter. Even if the product were free, the install and admin costs would need to be justified by more than one remarkable instance. With spam and phishing, the game is numbers. Criminals get about one in 12 million "click through". Good anti-spam services get well over 99% blocking. A technique that blocks less than 1% is not worth considering.

It just doesn't make sense that a spammer with an unlimited supply of
free unknown addresses would continue using a specific individual sender
address that is known worldwide as "bad".  Why not just switch to the
next "unknown" name.  Unknown is always better than definitely bad.

Phishers seem to spend quite a significant amount of effort obtaining addresses with good reputation. For example, I've seen an exchange of emails with a sceptical user, wondering why "we" were asking her for her password when she'd seen our anti-phishing posters. The phisher said "yes, I know, but in this case we really need it." After a few exchanges, she gave up her password.

Some users are beyond help. They need a bad experience to learn how to recognize phishing. In fact, I would argue that getting rid of *all* phishing would lead to less frequent, but more serious problems. We need at least a few "fire drills" to keep users alert.

I've seen academic accounts used for spamming, for a period of several weeks. Usually, such sites will stamp on abuse quite quickly, but not always. It's well worth having an infrastructure that's capable of punishing the account without harming the business relationship that relies on. In fact, I'd welcome an infrastructure that could effectively turn off one of my accounts without getting me out of bed - provided it was free of false positives. I'd certainly prefer it to having my domain switched off.

Just keep the domain owner informed as you lower their reputation, and the good ones will take care of the problem promptly. There is no need to "switch off" a domain. Once their reputation has dropped from A to C, it can stay that way forever. C is the same as unknown. All mail from unknown domains can be processed by your normal spam filtering setup, and sorted into a quarantine, depending on the spam score of the message.

-- Dave