Re: [spf-discuss] Tracking userids --was: SPF, DKIM, and NIH

2009-10-19 08:09:59
Ian Eiloart wrote:
I'm not talking about what we do at Sussex[...]

Ooops, I misunderstood your words :-(

I mean that you don't need a comprehensive worldwide individual identity system in order to assign reputation to email sender addresses. What you need to do is (a) verify the sender address domain with DKIM or SPF, and (b) make reasonable assumptions about the operation of the domain.

Agreed.

I think it's reasonable to assume that a domain operator won't permit one user to spoof another user's sender address. If that's untrue, then the domain's users and managers will need to sort out any negative consequences.

The point is how well it's possible to either corroborate or dispute such an assumption based on statistical evidence. That assumption is not reasonable in general, a policy statement and some other knowledge about the domain are needed.

2) Do you [think to] publish that data?

Yep. I imagine that sender reputation services will become as widespread as IP reputation services. Maybe that's what you mean by a "worldwide individual identity system"? In which case, the answer is yes. However, it may only be necessary to publish individual addresses with scores that differ greatly from the domain default; known spammers or well behaved bulk senders.

If the domain cooperates, they would take steps so as to stop those [ab]users. In such case, while publishing all the data may still be useful for checking the veracity of your activity, only your word about the domain's cooperation is strictly necessary. I'd call such activity vouching for that domain, in rfc5518's sense.