xsl-list

Re: HTML <script> tag

2002-08-29 01:38:02
Andrew Welch wrote:
I've always had problems with 'tag minimisation' and html

Well, the problem is that an HTML 4.0 user agent has no idea what XHTML is,
and even though XHTML 1.0 has "compatibility guidelines" that suggest ways to
fool an HTML user agent without breaking well-formedness (*), actually
generating XHTML that conforms to those guidelines is not something that is
supported by most XSLT processors. The choice is usually proper HTML, or
generic XML that might also be XHTML but that isn't likely to follow the
compatibility guidelines.

I believe there is one XSLT processor, XT, that does have a separate XHTML
output method. See http://4xt.org/ for details, but be warned that development
of this processor continues to flounder, and it is not as fully compliant as
Saxon, MSXML, 4XSLT, libxslt, etc. (although I and others have used it
successfully in production)

   - Mike