xsl-list

RE: HTML <script> tag

2002-08-28 09:21:27
Thanks Helder and the others who replied!
The responses fell into two groups:
1) use output="html" instead of output="xml"
2) insert a blank text node or empty comment between the <script></script>
tags.

While 1) is quicker and seems like less of a hack, what bothers me about
this is that the resulting page will no longer have <?xml version="1.0"
encoding="UTF-8"?> on the first line. This probably makes no difference to
most readers of the page but what if the reader is a robot that is expecting
to parse a valid XML document? Isn't this one of the promises of
XHTML?(Imagine how much easier XHTML would make parsing the Yahoo stock
reports!)

Therefore, I am almost inclined to do 2) above in spite of the fact that it
is a workaround (hack?). The problem, however, is that somebody might come
along and not know what the hack is and delete the blanks or comments.  This
is no small matter if you want to partition out your javascript into
separate files and do this for many pages...

Thanks again,
Stuart Zakon
Objects by Design
http://www.objectsbydesign.com