xsl-list

Re: Can you apply a template match on a copy node?

2002-09-22 14:31:51
Hi Joerg,

I'm just experimenting with ways of using xml/xsl. Sure I could use css, but
I prefer keeping things clean and maintainable from one file. I'm a great
believer in a clear seperation between data and layout, and the simplier I
can find ways to control the styling the better, which is why I was hoping
to do away with css altogether and use xsl templates for everything.

I'm using a server-side asp transform for the processing, so any use of
xsl/xml needs to be very efficient to compete with a pure asp scripted
solution.

Mike

--- Original Message -----
From: "Joerg Heinicke" <joerg(_dot_)heinicke(_at_)gmx(_dot_)de>
To: <xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com>
Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2002 8:48 PM
Subject: Re: [xsl] Can you apply a template match on a copy node?

Hi Mike,

if you really want to style every <td> in the same way, why don't you
want to use CSS?

td {
     width: 500px;
     background-color: red;
}

If not, what's your processing framework? In Cocoon for example a 2 step
transformation would be really easy. More information on xalan:nodeset()
you can find at
http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/extensionslib.html#ex-nodeset.

Regards,

Joerg

Mike Carlisle wrote:
Hi Joerg,

The reason for wanting to process <td> in a seperate match was that it
could
be used to define a style for <td> in one place, and one place only.
Whether
the <td> was in the xml or written by another match I wanted one place
where
it's attributes could be set generically, a bit like using xsl as a css.

I'm not that familar with extensions used in Michael Kay's approach. Am
right in thinking that to use node-set I need to install something like
Xalan.exe, and this will then pass a string back into a node set? How do
these extensions effect efficiency of the tranform? I've been told
xsl/xml
transforms are already fairly processor intensive compared to something
like
a pure asp solution, so am a bit reluctent to start complicating the
process
further with external calls. Dooes anyone know of or have any good bench
marks?

Cheers,

Mike