xsl-list

RE: Role of XSLT?

2002-10-29 07:39:57
Hi list.

I'm Portuguese and some of the problems I found on this list was mainly
because I have some dificulties in writing in Inglish. There are some
expressions that I use that doesn't hava a direct translation and others
that the translation some times get confused. When I started at this
list, many members of this list point that fact to me and I didn't call
them 'anti-portuguese', I simply tried to imporve my Inglish. That's way
I don't see this frase as offesive (that and probably because I didn't
understand exacly what he ment with that). To me, an international
person is a Person that is not in my coutry and that is not from my
country, a foreign is a Person that is in my country but is not from my
country (I don't know if this makes any sense in Inglish).

About the subject of this thread, I have a project that gets some data
(in xml) from sql server, uses  XSLT to apply the businnes rules and
uses XSLT to apply presentations rules, this implies that every task is
done in several passes (acording to the number of stylesheets needed to
present the final product). This alowed me to work each layer without
messing with the others, i. e., if I want to change some rules I don't
need to worry about the presentation, it still be working.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of
bryan
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 10:02 AM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [xsl] Role of XSLT?

Lovely example of the American use of "international" to mean
"foreign"...

I believe this usage arose from a desire not to give offense and is of
quite recent vintage, the word foreign having acquired a nasty set of
connotations during the 50's early 60's; it is first in reading
articles, books etc. from the late seventies that I notice International
replacing foreign.

International, although an Americanism, has I think been at least
somewhat appropriated by proper British Firms, at least in marketing
texts and such like.

Is the Foreign Office still called the Foreign Office?

Jeff Keaton wrote:
My guess is that anyone, in any country, who says "international" means

"anywhere but here".

Sure, Like an International Lover.

Actually I think what was once International may be moving into
Multinational.