xsl-list

Re: XSLT In the Build Process?

2003-05-11 08:12:14
J.Pietschmann wrote:
Mitch Amiano wrote:
snip
Anyone else have experience long-term applying a similar approach?
Yes, me. Actually we model EAI interfaces in a customized
XML vocabulary and generate IDL, C++ code, DTDs, Java code
as well as HTML and PDF documentation (online, using Cocoon).
Works great. The main advantages for us:
- The docs are guaranteed to describe what is in the code.
- A new interface mechanism, lets say web services, requires
  only to write a relatively small set of transformations to
  generate the variable adapter code and some libraries. We
  cranked out a Siebel adapter in less than a week.
We are using this since more than three years now.

J.Pietschmann

I think that would be very similar to what I observed. One of the criticisms that had been leveled against such an approach is that the developers then need to, in essence, learn an entirely new language framework which just happens to be encoded in XML. Personally, I don't see the problem - developers are going to create some build framework anyway, and they might as well reuse the XML technology available to them off the shelf. But do you find that it helps ramping up new developers, or hinders them?
- Mitch