xsl-list

Re: XSLT In the Build Process?

2003-05-16 08:23:55
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mitch Amiano" <mitch(_dot_)amiano(_at_)softwareadjuvant(_dot_)com>

If I may speak for Dave Pawson, the appendices in his XSL FO book are
also generated from the XML for the XSL 1.0 Recommendation.

Interesting. Actually, I'd consider the "generate sources from domain profile"
pattern (if I give that name to the situation I described) somewhat different
than the document generation case, which I'd consider more.... normal (for lack
of a better word). But perhaps the field is converging to the extent that one
can no longer draw an absolute distinction?

Converging on an emanent truth of markup: that any character-based data
representation may profitably be considered a document.  A source-code file is
merely a document with particularly rigorous, repetitive and error-prone
syntactic and grammatical requirements.  The application of XSLT to code
generation is perfectly analagous to its application over *documents*.  Let
markup manage the semantic domain and allow stylesheets to manage syntactic,
grammatical or formatting details.

Mike