xsl-list

Re: XSLT In the Build Process?

2003-05-11 18:08:01
Mitch Amiano wrote:
I've observed a team of developers using XSLT as a build tool to generate C++ code, instead of using the UML tool that had been selected for them (Rhapsody). They modelled various aspects of the problem domain using XML, and used XSLT templates to pump out C++.
[...snip...]
How common is this approach? Anyone else have experience long-term applying a similar approach?

It would appear that many people are using this technique, and not just
for C++ code (as other respondants have indicated).
I'm not sure what the criteria is to proclaim that the
approach is "common", but it certainly gaining popularity.

Since an XSLT stylesheet may produce text output virtually
any source code may be generated - including most documentation
formats (HTML, nroff, etc).

Going further, when one combines XSLT with a dynamic, interpreted
scripting language (Tcl, Python, Perl, etc) it is possible to not
only use XSLT to generate code but to evaluate that code on-the-fly
as part of the runtime application.  One of my currently projects
is a GUI XML editor that is implemented mostly as XSLT stylesheets,
using Tcl/Tk as "glue" between the stylesheets and the UI.

HTHs,
Steve Ball

--
Steve Ball            |   XSLT Standard Library   | Training & Seminars
Zveno Pty Ltd         |     Web Tcl Complete      |   XML XSL Schemas