xsl-list

RE: XSLT In the Build Process?

2003-05-09 15:18:52
Hi

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of
Mitch Amiano
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2003 8:54 PM
To: xsl-list
Subject: [xsl] XSLT In the Build Process?

I've observed a team of developers using XSLT as a build tool
to generate C++ code, instead of using the UML tool that had
been selected for them (Rhapsody). They modelled various
aspects of the problem domain using XML, and used XSLT
templates to pump out C++.

Reasons for their decision to go down this path included the
precise control they could exercise over the code generation
framework and hence the generated code, the ease of revising
the XML inputs and XSLT templates, and the seamless fit with
their Unix based ClearCase configuration management and
"make" based build scripts.

How common is this approach? Anyone else have experience
long-term applying a similar approach?

I use xslt to make statistic calculations, I use it as a framework for
creating webpages on the fly and I use it as a report generator utility.

- Mitch