xsl-list

Re: problem with handling conditional for loops

2005-04-27 07:15:06

Jim Neff wrote:

Rahil, you can use the xsl:choose statement like this to conditionally use
for-loops

<xsl:choose>

        <xsl:when test="some-condition-true" >

                <xsl:for-each select="selection-criteria">

                </xsl:for-each

        </xsl:when>

        <xsl:otherwise>

        </xsl:otherwise>

</xsl:choose>
That would seem like a natural progression to resolve the problem. However in my case im working with two files simultaneously.

I have two for loops. The first for loop runs through the first file First.xml such that

<xsl:for-each select="document(First.xml)/SubConcepts/SubConcept">.............</xsl:for-each> <!--extract the '@name' value-->

The second for loop is nested within the first loop and is as such

<xsl:for-each select="document(Second.xml)/SubConcepts/SubConcept[1]/Value"> <!--check if contains( '@name=text()' ) -->

What I want to do is look for the '@name' value in the rest of the 'document(Second.xml)/SubConcepts/SubConcept' ONLY IF I dont find a match in the earlier SubConcept node's Value nodes.

As a matter of philosophy, conditional logic like this and for-each loops
should be used sparingly in XSLT.
--Jim